Thursday, April 21, 2011

Learning Patience..

   Patience, it is something that I thought I had. I am learning I have a great deal of improvement left.

   The past week were have been trying to install the second set of solar panels at a worksite. On Saturday we completed the structure. Monday we arrived at the worksite, planning to install the solar panels on the roof of the security building. When we arrived, we unloaded the vehicle and setup everything for the installation. When Donovan and I climb up the scaffolding to get onto the roof we realize that the Liberian work crew that build the building did not finish the roof... (While Donovan and I are climbing down the scaffolding, it begins to fall. I jump off, and luckily the scaffolding stops. The Liberians that setup the scaffolding did not put any support under the feet, to keep them from digging into the sand. They also failed to notify anyone that the scaffolding was not able to be used....)  So! After talking to appropriate personel we packed up and planned to come back on Thursday.  So this morning we packed everything up, again, and headed to install the panels. After arriving we realized that the work crew moved our scaffolding, so we moved the scaffolding and before we unloaded the supplies we climbed up to verify that they did finish the roof.... and thank goodness we did!  The crew had done a very poor job, to say the least. The sides of the roof were hardly finished and the area where the panel supports were to be mounted was very rough, (this would compromise the structural integrity of our panel supports). So we headed home again. Hopeful that the next time we arrive the roof will be completed!      (Note:  the security buildings are made of 100% concrete. The roof is a "bowl shaped roof" so the "floor" of the roof must be waterproofed, this step, waterproofing, is the step that was either not completed or done poorly.)
   What I am beginning to realize is that I cannot have a set agenda. I pray that the Lord will help me keep my patience, or increase it!  I will have 24ish months of working with Liberians, I hope that either I can enstill some ideals in them, with the help of the Lord, or I will be able to simply brush occurrences, like the previous, of as simple ignorance...

Thank you for reading!
_M

No comments:

Post a Comment